4 Lessons Every Nigerian Business Can Learn from GIG Motors
GIG Motors is a leading transport line in Nigeria, as far as I am concerned, they are leading the way when it comes to transportation in Nigeria. I traveled with them from Jos to Lagos and the following are lessons I believe other Nigerian businesses could learn from them.
1. Apologize when you do something wrong
As simple as this sounds, a lot of Nigerians would agree that a lot of businesses here need to learn a thing or two about this, we were supposed to leave by 7:00 am but faced some technical issues and our trip was delayed. The transport line apologized several times for this. This is normal in other climes, but something we are not so used to in Nigeria, I believe more businesses need to start doing this.
2. Embrace Technology
GIG Motors pride themselves as “the most technologically driven road transport company in Nigeria” and I believe this plays a major role in why they are so successful. I spent a few minutes at their bus terminal in Iyana Ipaja Lagos and I can categorically state that these people are making real money. Even though it was 6 am, the terminal was full.
Technology refers to tools and machines that are used to solve real-world problems, it makes our lives and businesses better and any business that is focused on competing in this digital age should find a way they can use tech to make their services better and easier to use.
3. Invest in the best tools
I can’t stress this enough, the transport line(name withheld for personal reasons) I took from Lagos to Jos about 7 months ago really need to listen to this advice, their vehicle kept breaking down until I couldn’t take it anymore, I had to take another car to Jos and now they have lost a customer for life.
We traveled for over 19 hours with GIG Motors and the Vehicle didn’t break down even once, I started writing this article at around 2:00 am in Ibadan, we got to Lagos safely and the vehicle never broke down. As a business, your goal should be investing in the best tools possible. You will be thankful for this.
4. Invest in your office space
I first read about the importance of investing in your office space in Brian Tracy’s Psychology of Selling, the brains behind God is good definitely understand the importance of this. I have been to their terminal in Benin, Jos, and in Lagos this morning and I must say I was pretty impressed with everything I saw, even a customer I came to the park with yesterday morning remarked about this.
Most times, your office is the first interaction between you and your prospects and if you get it right, then you are on to a great start.
I have read Eric Ries’s “The Lean Startup” and understand the importance of starting lean, but every money you spend in your office would definitely be a good investment in the long run. You can start small and still have an amazing office space, you just need to be creative about it.
While this might be the last time I would use GIG Motors or any other road transport line from Lagos to Jos or vice versa (18 hours on the road is quite some time) and the bus wasn’t so comfortable because of the cramped spaces due to the luggage (I believe the management of GIG Motors need to look more into this), I must commend this company for trying, I have taken time to observe things and believe the sky is the limit for this company.
Thank you for reading!

Comments
Post a Comment